William R. Stromberg
Format Used: Netflix DVD
Contains: Mild Language, Graphic Violence
A meteor crashes into a Crater Lake and two months later all the fish have disappeared and worse still the people start vanishing,
a strange dinosaur is the responsible. The egg dormant for millions of years in the cold water until the meteor boiled the
water and hatched it.
Okay, the Crater Lake Monster is the basic story, monster in the lake eating people. The stop-motion effects are pretty good
considering this isn't a Ray Harryhausen movie. But I think the story spent way too much time with the two morons of the
boat rental place, the comedy relief, this was time they could have spent explaining what kind of dinosaur it was. 3 STARS
I agree with Zedd about the stop-motion and the so-called Comic relief which were was funny as a head cold. But something
else bugged me, the so-called expert just said Dinosaur, you think a real expert would say the name of the dinosaur. What's
up with that? The movie was a major snooze, some movies are roller coaster rides, this is more like a slow walk to the dentist.
The acting was so-so and I think they could have done better, even in 1977. 3 STARS as well.
ON THE POSITIVE SIDE (- HITS):
+ STORY (Basic but works.)
+ STOP-MOTION (The stop-motion was top rate.)
ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE (- MISSES):
- COMIC RELIEF (We spent way too much time with the so-called comedy relief. It took tension away from the real story.)
- EXPERT (The so-called expert never names the dinosaur.)
- PACING ISSUES (It's a very slow paced movie.)
- ACTING (The acting could have been better.)
- FAN BASED (If you aren't into monsters in lakes then this isn't for you.)