Genre: Giant Monster Science Fiction/Film Noir
Format Used: Netflix DVD
Contains: Graphic Violence
Also Known As:
Uchu daikaijū Dogora
Dagora, the Space Monster (USA)
Space Monster Dogora
A daring heist, millions in diamonds stolen. Or was it? A brave Police Officer hot on the trail of fiendish Criminals.
If that wasn't enough, a experimental satilight has mutated a space anomoly, which has come to Earth to devour all carbon.
First coal, then diamonds and if Dogora eats all the coal and diamonds. What carbon based thing will he go after, that's
It's a race against time to stop the crooks and the monster from space. Can the they be stopped?
I thought the movie was called DOGORA, not COPS VS. JEWEL THIEVES. The bulk of the movie is about the Jewel Thieves and how
the cops wanted to catch them. The whole space monster seemed more like the subplot. I am surprised at the Japanese. They
don't usually do that kind of thing, you expect this kind of thing from ROGER CORMAN or BURT I. GORDON or maybe even ED WOOD
JUNIOR, but not ISHIRO HONDA. The creature effects are cool (What there was of them.) I am very disappointed and I must give
One star, I can't believe that Zedd gave it one star. I can't believe Zedd was that generious to this turkey. I for a party
of one agree with him about the plot being too much about the Jewel Thieves and not enough about the hover squid from space.
But he's being too kind. Because of that, this movie is a real snooze. I guess he's being kind because he's a fan of Ishiro
Honda and if you too think Ishiro Honda could do no wrong, then you might like it. As for me, I think he can do wrong. If
you read my review of MANDANGO, then you know I think Honda can do wrong. But this wasn't quite that bad, but I still have
to give it THE NOOSE for shere boredom factor.
ON THE POSITIVE SIDE (- HITS):
+ CREATURE EFFECTS (Dogora in all his forms was quite impressive, what you got to see of it.)
+ ISHIRO HONDA FANS (If you feel this director is incapiable of making a bad movie, then this is the movie for you.)
ON THE NEGATIVE SIDE (- MISSES):
- PLOT AND SUBPLOT (The mixed up the plot and the subplot. Too much time on the subplot and not enough time on the main plot.)
- SUBPLOT (The whole jewel thieves subplot which took too much of the movie was boring.)
- THIN MAIN PLOT (They created this cool giant monster and barely used it, what's up with that?)
- CHARACTERS (These characters weren't interesting enough to hold a movie.)
- TITLE (The title is Dogora, not CRIME OF THE CENTURY.)
- FAN BASED (If you aren't a big fan of Film Noir or Giant Monsters, this isn't for you.)